Friday, September 15, 2006

 
Magnolias
185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401
843-577-7771
www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com

Well our first dining review at SouthCarolinadining.blogspot.com is from Magnolia's in Historic Charleston, South Carolina. This restaurant is located right near the market. This is, if not one of the most popular dining destinations in Charleston. The down south cooking served here is prepared by Chef Donald Barickman. Check out his book "Magnolia's Southern Cuisine" if you can.

There website states it's Charleston's Pioneer for lowcountry Cuisine. Being from the North, my dear wife told me all about what "Lowcountry" means. This is an area ranging from Georgetown, South Carolina down to Savannah, GA. They have their own unique culinary style and this restaurant shows a shining example of it.

I must start right away with the appetizers. Two musts for both my wife and myself our the Housemade Potato Chips and Fried Green Tomatoes. Fried Green Tomatoes? WHAT? yep.. But wait. First the chips. I am a sucker for homemade potato chips, and especially ones with Blue Cheese. Excellent combination of fresh, partially dripping with oil chips and Blue Cheese! OK, the Fried Green Tomatoes are served with Jalepeno Grits. Remember I'm from the North and I love these grits! If this is your first time in the south, please choose this App.. You will not regret it!! Fantastic!

For salads and soup, the Blue Crab bisque is outstanding! One of the best soups I've ever had times ten! I've also had the Wedge of Iceberg Lettuce and that was very nice but if I had to choose, go with the bisque!

Entree time.. Always check the specials first. My wife will usually get something off of that list and is never disappointed! Especially the seafood and something with Grits.. That'll always make her happy! Let's start with the Filet.. ordered it medium and it came out that way. While it's no Chicago Chophouse style steak, it had it's own flair and is a worthy choice. My favorite though, hands down is the Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast. It's served with mashed potatoes, biscuits, cream corn and collard greens. A true southern meal, don't you think? I loved it all except for the greens but heck I do love the Fried Green Tomatoes and Grits!

For Dessert, the Milk chocolate Creme Brulee was fantastic!! Though the last time it was missing the cookie, or they changed it. The Cream Cheese Brownie is another great choice as well.

For the environment, there was no great view or really any if you are in the back, but you really feel like you are someplace special.. (Great for romantic dates!). The service was outstanding! Probably the best in Charleston.

So for my rating, I am giving it a 4.75 out of 5. I can't give a 5 on my first review even though this restaurant might deserve it. I might come back in the future and change it though! You never know!

Magnolia's 4.75 out of 5

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?